February 26, 2021
Here is a brief Covid update for UUFECers:
- Covid deaths and hospitalizations are all still high, but trending down in our County and in the US overall.
- As of 2/26/21, a total of 29 million Americans have been infected with Covid; 520,000 Americans have died from Covid and 322 people have died from Covid in Okaloosa County
- Two Highly Safe and Effective Vaccines are available for Covid (Pfizer and Moderna)
- Approximately 70 million Americans have received at least one dose of vaccine
- Approx. 50% of Okaloosa county Citizens over age 65 have been vaccinated so far.
- Persons 65 and older and health care workers with direct patient contact are eligible for Covid vaccination. Vaccination is available locally at the following locations:
- Publix Pharmacy https://www.publix.com/covid-vaccine/booknow
- Emerald Coast Infectious Diseases Office: Go online and complete their registration forms at https://infectionclinic.com/covid19/. (some walk-ins have been vaccinated after completing the forms online)
- Okaloosa County Health Dept at http://myokaloosa.com/bcc/covid-19/vaccine or go to Eventbrite or call 850-344-0566.
- Efforts are being made to start vaccinating people under age 65, with underlying health conditions, at Sacred Heart Hospital and Baptist Hospital, in Pensacola, and Bay Medical Center in Panama City, however it is still unclear how to arrange these vaccinations.
- Treatments for Covid (Bamlamivumab or Regeneron Antibody cocktail) are available if given within the first 10 days. The earlier it is given, the more likely it is to be beneficial. Time matters! Don’t delay if you are recently diagnosed with Covid and are eligible for treatment.
- These treatments are not effective in hospitalized patients.
- Eligibility: Anybody with underlying health risk factors are eligible: Age over 65, obesity, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, immunosuppression or COPD
- You can contact your primary care physician to expedite referrals for this treatment or present to the local Emergency room.
- To get further help or information on Covid, you can call or text me on my cell phone (850-803-3342) or email (email@example.com) or you can also reach out to others on the Caring Committee as we work our way through this pandemic (John Drury at 499-9822; Kathy Roniger 217-2720; Rece Howley 664-6833; Linda & David Carson 902-7821).
-Gil Brown MD
Caring Committee Chair